So you want to jailbreak your iPhone huh? No idea how to go about it? Lucky for you it’s extremely easy and you’ve got me to show you exactly what to do!
First off I recommend backing up your iPhone with iTunes. This is pretty simple:
1. Plug your iPhone into your computer, iTunes might come up automatically, maybe not, either way fire up iTunes.
2. You should see you iPhone show up in iTunes under DEVICES. Right click on it and click Back Up.
3. That should take a few minutes. While it’s doing that you can download the jailbreaking application from blackra1n.com. It’s a small app which does all the hard work for you! Click on either the windows or mac logo, depending on what operating system you are running, and you can download the file to wherever you want on your computer. I only have a PC so this How To is written for using windows, although it’s pretty identical using a mac.
4. When your back up is complete close iTunes. If you want to be super safe, and make sure you don’t lose your setup from before your jailbreak you can make a copy of the backup file and put it somewhere else so it doesn’t get overwritten. Again, I’m using windows so I can’t say where this is for mac, but for XP you’ll want to go to
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
for Vista or 7 head over to
Copy the contents of this folder to another location for sage keeping. If you do want to use this files to restore from later on just navigate to this folder again, delete the contents and replace it with what you copied.
5. Now that all your data is safe in case the shit hits the pan (very unlikely!) it’s time to jailbreak that phone! Run the file that you downloaded earlier. You’ll get a little window which has one button which says ‘make it ra1n’.
Click the button.
Your iPhone will restart a few times, show some strange pictures of a man with iPhones flying around him, but eventually it will boot normally and you’ll be presented with the normal ‘slide to unlock’ screen.
6. At this point your iPhone is officially jailbroken. However at the moment you won’t have any access to any jailbreak apps. Unlock you iPhone and if you browse through your home screens you’ll notice you have a new app installed:
Run the application and you will be given a menu with three choices on it, and the option to uninstall the app you are running.
The first two options are a choice of ‘app store’ for jailbroken apps. Cydia is the one that the majority of people use, simply because it has been around for longer and is more well known, however Rock has access to the same apps and has a slicker interface. The third option is for if you want to unlock your iPhone, which I’ll do a How To on another time.
Pick one of the app stores and it will be installed! Voila, go onto the app store, search for apps, have fun! If you want to you can uninstall the blackra1n app using the fourth option.